Our bodies are amazing at giving us gentle guidance, but we are often so block headed or unsure that we don’t listen. We tend to be pretty tuned in when we are really young, but then there is a period of time when the outside world takes over and you stop listening. It’s time now to tune back in.
Adult decisions can be hard! And after 12 or more years of being in school where there are right and wrong answers, it can be tempting to always be looking for the right answer from someone else. But the first line of defense is to start by listening to what your body is telling you.
- If you find yourself in a situation that feels sketchy and uncomfortable, and this isn’t a haunted house that you paid to enter, then notice those signals!
- If something is going on in a relationship that just feels wrong inside of you, then listen to what your body is telling you!
- Or maybe you really want to do something, but are coming up with all the reasons to turn around and head back to the herd.
- Venturing off into the unknown is scary, but could it be the right move?
- Trusting your gut can make you feel alone, and that can be hard.
People on the outside will tell you otherwise. They will offer advice and opinions. Heck, here I am offering advice! Hear them out (thank you) and then tune in. What is your internal instinct telling you about the situation you find yourself in? Yours should be the loudest voice in the room.
Now, having said all that, sometimes listening to your gut requires you to dig in a bit. What’s really going on? Are you trying to avoid something that is just uncomfortable or challenging? Are you making excuses because what you need to do is hard? If I just listened to my gut I might never go for a run or get off the couch because often my gut tells me it just wants to curl up under a blanket and eat chocolate ice cream.
So, listen to that gut, challenge it to make sure you are really following what it is telling you to do, and then know that only you knows what is right for you!